Sunday, August 13, 2023

Games you didn't "get," the first time you played them, but gave another shot and it ended up clicking.


I just had a small back and forth with someone who didn't "get," Outer Wilds and wanted some help getting into it, and it got me thinking: What are some games you didn't "get," because you didn't understand the "right," way to play, but ended up giving another shot and it finally clicked?

Some of my personal ones are:

  • Crysis. I was a huge COD fan in middle school, and Crysis was the first non-COD military shooter I'd played, so my brain just went into COD mode. I found the game super frustrating and boring until I played it years later when I finally "got it," and suddenly I was having a blast playing as The Predator.
  • Disco Elysium. I don't play many RPGs, and the ones I do tend to grade you pretty heavily based on morality, so I assumed this game was no different. Little did I know that would end up with me receiving the most mind numbingly boring story. I finished the game really confused why people liked it so much, but thanks to a small tip I got here on reddit I replayed it making more careless/fun options and holy hell I wasn't even sure I was playing the same game! Suddenly just about every interaction got way more interesting and the ending was surreal.

What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment