Tuesday, August 15, 2023

What game broke you out of “learned video game behavior”?


For instance: You get a thing in Chapter One. You don’t know what it does. Don’t know if it has any importance. “I’m sure I’ll come across this thing again” So you sell it to get those sweet Rupees.

Come to find out, in late game, you can’t get the “Super Awesome Master Sword” unless you still have that one little bit from Chapter One.

This creates its own psyche in the gamer mind. “I will never sell anything ever again!” “You only get to burn me once!” And then even if selling is an important mechanic of the game… well, tough luck… you aren’t getting me again. I will sell NOTHING. EVER! And sort of ruins the games that try to make that an important mechanism.

We all know that too well. Being burned early colors how we play every game after.

So what games broke you out of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment