Monday, October 31, 2016

Gaming saved my life, and i'd hate for someone to tell you that video games are pointless.


Sorry this isn't a sick gif or photo, but i thought i'd share my story to my fellow gamers who grew up the way i did. And to anyone who lives with someone who is making you stop playing games if it's your only form of relief, tell that person to fuck off.

As a kid, i loved playing my Sega Genesis. It was like being introduced to crack as kid to be honest. Going from console to console such as the PS1 and PS2 to eventually the first Xbox was like graduating in it's own way. I'm 21 years old working a government desk job, wrestled all 4 years of high school, and had plenty of friends. But all of my good memories with friends and family was bonding over video games.

Whenever i felt depressed over a family loss, losing a girl, or any sadness, i had my xbox and games to cheer me up. Like cheer me up in the way that i actually felt like things were going to be okay you know?

Anyway, i've been in a relationship for almost 2 years and during this time my fiance hated that i played. She thought it made me irresponsible, and that i didn't want to pay any attention to her. Keep in mind the most i would play when she was home was an hour tops. I loved her, but that one hour really helped me wind down from all the stress and occasional anxiety i'd have.

Anyway, our relationship got worse and just last weekend, i moved out. She had gotten physically violent with me for the second time. And after years of verbal abuse as well, it really has taken a toll on me since. i wasn't confident anymore, i thought people who played games were losers to be honest..

After moving back with my family and after unpacking the only thing that wasnt set up was my Xbox and Tv. So i figured why the hell not..it's only been a year or so since i got a good gaming session in!

I decieded to buy battlefield one and told a couple buddies of mine to get online. And for the first time in a long time, after all the laughing and playing, things felt..i guess normal again. I felt just as happy as my 14 year old self playing old Halo games. I had almost forgotten i got the shit kicked outta me the day before, and all my worries felt at ease.

Truth is, i'm still planning on going to therapy after all the verbal abuse as well. But I just thought i'd share my story that if anyone ever tells you video games are stupid and pointless, that maybe you can relate to my story and realize that person you're talking to is wrong. I should be alot more depressed right now, by playing games and talking with friends has been my greatest coping mechanism ever. If playing makes you happy, then don't let ANYONE take that away from you. Your happiness is yours, and yours alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment